Sunday 22 May 2011

A burger a day keeps the migraine away

I have had a hell-ish week-long migraine which I thought was never going to end. I finally felt like myself this morning and the first thing I wanted to do was make and eat homemade vegetarian burgers. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't love a good burger, whether its a veggie or non-veggie one. Burgers are so versatile, easy to make and amazing to eat.

I have made my own burgers for years and I recently bought 'The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet' by Joni Marie Newman which has 101 burger recipes. Sounds insane but it is a brilliant book.

I felt so inspired I made my own homemade kidney bean and sweet potato burgers.

  • 2 sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
  • 2 potatoes cooked and mashed
  • 1 can red kidney beans
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of flour
  • Half tsp each of oregano, chilli flakes and ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
  • Coriander and seasoning to taste
  1. Mix together all the ingredients until you get a sticky dough. Cool the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes as it will be easier to form the burger patties.
  2. Take a golf ball sized piece of the dough and form into a burger.
  3. Place the burger on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
  4. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
  5. When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 210c and cook for 30 minutes.
  6. Serve with lots of tomato relish, spring onions and a green salad.
I made around eight burgers with this recipe and one of the comments I received was 'this is the best burger you have ever made.' Bye bye Mr Migraine.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I've always enjoyed bean burgers from the big 'BK' as a tasty vegetarian option.

    ReplyDelete