Monday 25 April 2011

Sweet sweet Punjabi tea

What is a day off, without having a mug of sweet and spicy Punjabi tea to start the day? I love long relaxing weekends which give me the opportunity to make this tea like my mum taught me, and yes it is made in a saucepan!

I use an adapted Punjabi spice mixture which seems to last for ages. It consists of four teaspoons fennel seeds, 2 teaspoons carom seeds/ajwain, and 2 teaspoons cardamom pods (green and black) which were grounded in a pestle and mortar.

To make the tea I add a teaspoon of this mixture and a cup of cold water to a saucepan and bring it all to the boil. I boil the water and spices for five minutes then add lots of sugar, milk and tea leaves. I bring the concoction to the boil again and simmer it for a couple of minutes, and the tea is then ready to enjoy. It tastes amazing with a couple of mathia

No comments:

Post a Comment