Sunday 8 May 2011

Why do I crave fried food?

I don't know what it is about fried food, but why is it always delicious and why is one bite just never enough? I think I eat pretty healthily as my diet includes fruit, veg, pulses, beans and some dairy but no matter how flavoursome a meal is, on the weekends I always crave fried food.

Today, it was homemade onion rings in batter. I made a quick batter with plain flour, water, seasoning, chilli flakes and a hint of ginger. I dipped onion rings in the batter and deep fried them until golden brown. I had them with some salad and tomato sauce. Simple but utterly scrumptious!
 
Last week it was mini coloured papad squares (poppadoms) which you can buy dried from any Asian deli.

I think my craving stems from my childhood when on Sundays the whole family (uncles and aunts included) would have a late afternoon meal at my grandmother's house. My grandmother was a brilliant cook, she was experimental and loved making new meals with big flavours. And my grandmother had a sweet tooth which means she made the tastiest sweet and savoury food.

So for a period, it could have been for a few months but it felt like years, she used to make us all pakoras with mint chutney. I can still remember what they tasted like and she used to save all the scraps into a little bowl for me which I would then devour, after obviously eating platefuls of the pakoras with chutney and tomato sauce. My grandmother was extremely generous so when I say platefuls, yes I do mean platefuls. A Punjabi house never runs out of food and so there was always enough food for the family and even my grandparents' friends who used to pop by!

2 comments: